Pages

September 29, 2011

Rules to Live By

I got all of this from a little piece of paper on my grandma's refrigerator:

In the book "Dumbing Down Our Kids", author Charles Sykes talks about how our liberal, feel good, politically correct society has created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and set them up for failure in the real world. Here are a few examples (on the slip of paper it says example's) from his list of rules that you may want to share with your kids, or even apply to your everyday life:

  • Rule 1: Life is not fair, get used to it.
  • Rule 2: Life is not divided in semesters. You don't get summers off, and very few employers are interested in helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time.
  • Rule 3: If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss. They don't have tenure.
  • Rule 4: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping; they called it opportunity.
  • Rule 5: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your Mistakes. Learn from them.
  • Rule 6: The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself. 
  • Rule 7: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

(I love these rules, every time I look at them I smile. Hope you smiled too.)

~BrandyBug Nikkie Kinsman

6 comments:

  1. I definitely smiled! I LOVED rule # 7!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The above comment is from Janelle Chinchen! Oops

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Janelle! I thought it would be fun to share, when I whine my grandma shows me these rules and I end up laughing in stead of getting upset at her. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true. I love your blog and writing passion. Keep it up!

    -Ms. L

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like these rules, and yes they did make me smile!

    ReplyDelete